Saturday, February 6, 2010

Privacy is overrated.

My original intent was to be private about this.


I blamed myself for being sick, guilty of not making all the healthy life choices I know I should have made my whole life. After all I know better, no excuses. I was surprised to learn that healthy physically fit people get cancer too, but I still feel responsible for my illness.

Sanford is a small town and everyone knows us so keeping this private was not possible. My plan was to disappear for a few months and come back thinner, with bigger boobs and a new hair style letting everyone gossip about my “plastic surgery”. No such luck.

Just the simple meaningless greeting of “How are you?” would set me on a crying spell. The worst was when someone would get half way through the question and catch themselves and get the “look”. The “oh crap” she’s got cancer “look”, I shouldn’t ask her that question.

People are not afraid of asking the question they are afraid of the answer. Most of the time the answer is “fine” and we are happy. The discomfort comes when the answer is, “I’m afraid.” This is the most disturbing feeling for me right now. If you know me, you know that fear is something I do not usually experience. I believed that I can do anything I set my mind on. Now I’m not so sure.

Getting over my embarrassment of being ill has helped me to feel stronger, allowing people to care about me was uncomfortable at first but now it is a source of comfort. My advice is to let people help you when you need it, it’s not just a benefit to you it gives purpose and comfort to the person that helped you.

Courage and Strength for me comes from you and all the people that are willing to hear me say “I am afraid.”

2 comments:

  1. I will ever ask you, and honor your truth when you reply.
    Right now, I am not afraid, so I will hold you up if you will let me.
    My arms hold abundance of healing strength and love.
    We have grown up together, you and I, though not always keeping in touch through the years, always keeping up through friends. Doesn't matter.
    You're a sister of my heart and I am ready for whatever you need, whenever you let me know.
    Don't let being afraid stop you from telling me, Linda.
    I will take all the fear, the pain, the worry, the anger, the grief, the frustration... whatever you need rid yourself of.
    And I will watch as the beauty returns. The healing, vibrant, lovely YOU, reinvented.
    So...tell me. Say what you feel. Say what you need.
    I am not afraid to hear it.
    I love you.
    Peace, sister~
    Kendra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stress Test: 1.) Is this important?, 2.) Is it reasonable for me to be angry?, 3.) Can I modify the situation? If you answered YES to these questions, you are on your way to healing.
    Psalm 118:1 "Give thanks unto the Lord; for He is good: because His mercy endureth forever."
    Thoughts hold near those we hold dear.

    ReplyDelete